Advantages and Disadvantages of Single Ownership of a PropertyMay 25, 2018
Ownership of a property can be differentiated into two, single ownership where an individual is the sole owner and joint ownership, where a couple or partners share the ownership. With an increasing number of youth interested in real estate investment, single property ownership is often preferred.
Below listed are the advantages and disadvantages of a sole property ownership.
1. In case of EMIs, you do not have to wait for the co-owner to meet his financial liability in sharing the payments.
2. The credit score will only be based on your financial performance and so if your partner has a low CIBIL score, it won’t affect your ability to avail a home loan.
3. When owning a property alone, you will not have to worry about the future of your property if there is a fall out between you and the co-owner.
4. If the need comes to sell the property, you would not need to take another person’s approval to do so.
5. You will not have to share the tax benefits with anyone else and can apply for a tax rebate against home loan instalments.
1. Single ownership puts the burden of financial responsibility on your shoulders which you cannot share.
2. You will not be able to apply for higher loan amounts when owning a property alone. But in joint ownership, as the combined income of the owners is considered, eligibility for higher loan amounts are more.
3. A rebate on stamp duty cannot be availed in sole ownership, but is offered on joint property ownership in some states.
4. The process of transfer of property ownership upon the death of sole owner can be a complicated one regulated by succession laws and other related ownership rules.
Ladder Kerala, one of the trusted names in building premium flats and apartments in Calicut offers luxury living spaces designed for an impeccable urban lifestyle in their flagship project Ladder Mankav Greens. Facilitating a modern living aided with world-class features and luxury amenities, the project envisages a dream home at its best.